The Jewish Boy



He was a blonde, curly-haired athlete from Miami. He was a wake boarder, a gentleman, sweet, smart, and very rugged. By rugged, I mean he was very into "man stuff" like camping, beer, working on his boat, and building things-always outside, getting dirty. When we first started dating, he left to go on a snowboarding/skiing family trip up in California. We talked for hours everyday, laughed so much, spoke about our families, our likes and dislikes, and made a deep connection. I was so smitten with how down to earth and driven he was and loved how much he adored his family.

As soon as he got back, we started hanging out all the time; in between classes, after work, whenever we had a chance really. He made fun of me and called me a little "Spanish princess" and laughed at the fact that I was a bit high maintenance and so "girly". We were so different on the outside, but actually the same when it came to morals and values; which is the most important factor in my eyes.

He went on to tell me how even though he had a serious girlfriend in the past, he had never taken her out on a proper date because she was a hippie and didn't care for that kind of thing. I was shocked that he really had never been on a real "date", so we planned it out and he took me to Seasons 52. He picked me up, he dressed for the occasion, (by the way the first and last time I ever saw him in a button down shirt) and told me this was the first time in years that he had dressed up for anything.

I was baffled, but appreciated the effort he was putting into the evening and he actually mentioned later that he loved the food and the atmosphere and would be happy to do it again. I tried to do more outdoorsy things, we washed our cars together (so outdoorsy haha), rode his boat and swam in the lake. We would cook together on many occasions, watch movies (actually he would watch his movie and I would fall asleep watching), and we never fought about anything- which was my favorite part.

Also, let me just say the kid was romantic. On Valentines Day, I had to work at the bar at 10 PM, so he asked me to stop by before work and spend some quality time. I arrived and I opened the door and it was dark, I followed a dim light I saw towards the kitchen. When I walked through the corridor, I saw candles lit everywhere. A table setting for two, wine and shrimp pasta on the table. It was so thoughtful and very romantic. We dined and then he led me outside where he had set up blankets on his boat, we snuggled under the blankets, sipped wine and looked up at the stars. It was a perfect Valentine's Day evening. PERFECT.

Six months into it, we had only kissed and it became a bit of an issue. Not because there was pressure but because we had to have that "where is this going" conversation that no one really wants to have. The bottom line was this: I wasn't going to be intimate with someone who wasn't ready for a commitment and he wanted to be intimate but wasn't sure if he was ready for a commitment. We took sometime to think and I decided I was ready for a relationship, he was hesitant and said if he could commit at this point it would be with me, but the truth was he didn't want to commit.

So we parted amicably because we wanted different things. Let's fast forward, about a year later when he invited me to his lake house party. I accepted and stopped by with a couple of friends; we chatted and had a good time. As I was about to leave, he asked if we could talk for a minute and of course I obliged. The following thing has happened to me more times than I can remember and gentlemen please take notes. He said that the truth of the matter was he wasn't sure at the time if he was completely over his ex-girlfriend and didn't think it was fair to me if he was still having thoughts about her. He went on to say that he regretted his decision because now that he was over her, he still had feelings for me and he had wanted to tell me but heard that I was dating someone else. (Which indeed as this blog is proof, I was ALWAYS dating someone). I told him I was sad to hear that because what we had was special but pretty much the shipped had sailed and well... he was not in it.

Honestly, I still care for him and consider him a dear friend of mine. I appreciated that he did the stand up thing and didn't waste my time and was honest about everything through our time together. I spoke to him briefly about a month ago and we caught up. Maybe in the future (you never know) we could cross paths and rekindle and old flame? Doubtful, but you never know. I have nothing but great things to say about this one, in another life I'm sure we could've lived Happily ever after.

THE END.




Comments