The Atheist


Alex. Handsome, charming, and awkwardly…tall. We had mutual friends and were always going out in the same circles on the weekends. One day, he asked me if I would like to go see a movie. I was eager to go out with him because I had been interested in him for awhile and he seemed like a lot of fun. So he picked me up and we went to see ‘The Da Vinci Code’. After the movie was over, we got in the car and the following conversation ensued:

Alex: “Can you believe that movie??”
Me: “It was really good, you didn’t like it?”
Alex: “I did, but I just can’t believe that people actually believe there was a Virgin Mary and a guy that walked on water, and all that bullshit. I mean how ignorant do you have to be to argue against science and facts. The whole thing is a sham and just ridiculous.”
Me: “Wow. So I take it you’re not religious huh?”
Alex: “Absolutely not. It actually makes me angry to think that people can’t just accept the fact that it’s like an old wives tail. It’s NOT REAL. Right?”
Me: “Actually, I was born and raised Catholic and now I’m Christian non-denominational…”
Alex: “Oh.”
Me: “And I cannot believe that you are calling Christians ignorant, stupid, and you would be so abrasive and careless with your comments. I would never judge your beliefs or insult you like that.”
Alex: “Well do you have any proof that it’s real? I mean come on; I know that in the back of your mind you must question it."
Me: “No, I don’t. I have faith and years of studying the Bible, nothing you can say will make me question it.”
Alex: “Well this is awkward.”
Me: “Yea, you can drop me off now. All of a sudden, I’m feeling extremely…tired.”
Alex: “Ok. Could we have picked a worse movie to watch on our first date?”
Me: “Um, no. I’m afraid this will probably be our last. (Nervous laughter) I’m pretty sure that this will always be an issue, so we are probably better off as friends."
Alex: “Yea. Ok…well…have a good night.”
Me: (Jumps out of the car) "Uh huh, night!"

We remained good friends/make out buddies after that and the only rule was we were never allowed to speak about anything religion EVER again.

In one word. DISASTER.

Comments