The Rebound


I always feel bad for these guys. There are the ones that catch me right after a break up. When I still have feelings for the "ex", when I'm not ready for anything remotely serious, yet I demand the same attention as a boyfriend would give. I can't help the fact that my rebounds always end up being the nice guys. Why is that???

I met my rebound when I was home for the holidays and he just happened to live 15 minutes away from my current residence. He was probably the sweetest guy I had encountered in a long time and it was definitely refreshing to feel appreciated. We hit it off right away and before I could even spell rebound, I was spending every day at his place. Getting laid off, did not help the cause of taking things "slow" since I had entirely too much free time on my hands. We had great chemistry and I was all about having someone to take my mind off everything. From losing my job, losing my boyfriend, and deciding whether to move away for awhile were all the little things pestering in my mind.

So only 3 weeks into dating, he asked me if I wanted to go away for a 3-day weekend getaway. At first I thought maybe it was too soon, for something like that but really when have I EVER been one to pass on a weekend getaway? Yea, that's what I thought. So we packed our bags and prepared to go on our 5-hour trip to Northern California. Um yes, I said 5-hour road trip. To start things off, the highway he usually would have taken was closed due to snow, so after being re-routed the trip actually turned into a 6-hour trip. We finally got there around 9 PM and had a nice little dinner in an Italian spot in town.

The next day, we had planned to check out the town and we did except it was FREEZING and wet. So we ventured around for awhile but couldn't really do much. These are the times ladies, when you realize that maybe this was too soon to go on a romantic getaway. When all the topics have been discussed in length, you start hearing the same stories, and you actually start getting a little bored...well that is when you have a problem.

All he wanted to do was cuddle, kiss, take long walks on the beach, and gaze at the stars. I am going to stop right there. These are things that are enjoyable when you are either falling in love or in love, at least in my case. I don't want to stare at the sunset for an hour with someone I barely know. I get antsy, I get bored, I get annoyed. Honestly, it was not his fault I just wasn't ready for any of it. It was way too soon to be doing all the mushy stuff, when I just gotten out of a relationship. So I will say it, IT WAS MY FAULT.

So after some consideration, I told him I actually had to go home after 2 days because I had a lot of things to do. (Half-truth). I also told him I wasn’t ready for anything serious just yet and even though I thought I made that clear in the beginning maybe I had not emphasized it enough. (Full-truth) So after a lovely, but somewhat uncomfortable weekend we made our way back. The days following that were a bit awkward, as I dodged a couple of calls and ignored a few texts. Finally, I decided to see him and thought that if we took things slower maybe I could get into it again.

I went to his place, started watching TV and Obama happened to giving a 'State of Address Speech'. The following catastrophe ensued.

Me: "Oh! Leave it here, I want to see what he says!"
Rebound: "Uh, really? I can't get into politics. It's so stupid."
Me: "But aren't you interested in seeing what he has to say about the economy and everything else that is going on right now?"
Rebound: "Nah, not my thing."
Me: "Ok. (We watch silently.)
Me: "Haha, look at Biden's face. He looks miserable!"
Rebound: "Who is Biden?"
Me: (With a look of disgust) "Are you serious? Biden? He is the Vice-President of the Unites States of America?"
Rebound: "Haha, yea I told you I wasn't into politics!"


Well that was it for me. He was sweet, cute, funny, adventurous, polite, and a genuinely amazing person. But could I date someone who doesn't know who our vice-president is? That is a definite no.

Go ahead judge me. Say I'm too picky. I make no apologies for the decisions I make in my relationships with frogs or knights in shining armor. None, zero, zilch.

Comments